Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Wheels, Wheels, Wheels

As I sit at my computer, I can look out the window and see wheels of all sorts. There are boys' and girls' bicycles of all sizes. They come in small, medium and large and boys and girls all over, riding them. Their Mom gets out there on her bike and they all line up behind her. Even the little 2 year old with training wheels and she takes them all out riding. When they come home, they all play on the swing set and for awhile the neighbors had a big tent set up that they played in. The little swimming pool sits idle now since school started and the weather got clear down to 35 degrees last night. I think I was 12 or perhaps 13 when I got my first bicycle and I earned it by paying $1 a week for 40 weeks out of my paper route. Can you imagine kids doing that now? They have wheels almost from the time they can walk till they get their first car at 16. What a change from the days I was growing up. My husband never had a bicycle so he has never even ridden one. He doesn't know what he missed out on. We used to spend the day riding miles and miles, carrying a lunch with us to picnic along the way somewhere. Those were the good old days.

No comments: