Thursday, November 13, 2008

Bone Density and Reclast

I had my bone density test about 2 weeks ago and found out that my bones have improved over the past 3 or 4 years. I have been regularly taking a prescription pill once a week to help make my bones stronger and it is working.

Now they have come out with Reclast, a once a year injection that takes about 15 minutes and you do not have to have another for a year and no more weekly pills. I think it is just great. It sticks to your bones and helps with fractures and you continue your calcium and Vitamin D and your bones build up extra strength.

They also sent along some literature that said one of the best things you can do for your bones is walking. I walk on a Tony Little Gazelle swing glider 30 minutes a day and it has sure helped strengthen my bones. It is the best thing I have done for myself in the past year. I wish everyone knew that walking is so good for you. Even 30 minutes 3 times a week will do wonders for your bones. Any weight bearing exercise of that type is good to strengthen your bones. You start losing calcium from your bones as young as 20 so you can't start exercising, walking and taking your calcium and Vitamin D too soon.

No comments: